I try to limit the number of desserts I make and eat simply because of health and weight loss reasons but I can't resist making an apple dessert in the fall or around holiday time. One of my favorite fall desserts is this apple cobbler. I was worried about trying this family recipe gluten free but yay the first time I made it this way, it came out super delicious! I like to eat mine warm topped with vanilla gelato(I used Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean which is gluten free). Curl up with a blanket and enjoy Cobbler Heaven! Recipe below.
Gluten Free Apple Cobbler:
- 1/2 peck apples(or around 10),(I used Macintosh), peeled, cored and sliced
- 6 TBSP organic cane sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tsp all purpose gluten free flour(I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss sliced apples with 1 TBSP cinnamon, 1 TBSP sugar and 2 tsp flour in a large bowl and set aside.
- Measure flours, salt, xanthan gum and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla and cut in shortening using a fork or pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg and mix until dough forms. Texture should resemble cookie dough. You can add a little more flour, if dough is too wet.
- Spread apples in a large baking dish and top evenly with dollops of cobbler dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cobbler is golden and apples have softened.
- Serve warm with gelato or whipped cream.